Saturday, February 15, 2020

My Entrepreneurial Self Discovery Journal Entry

Hello everyone!

Yet again, I have the opportunity to share with you some cool insights that I learned from my Intro to Entrepreneurship. This week we got to hear from a couple of speakers that stood out to me. The first speaker, Steve Blank, is talking about the journey to starting a new business. He expressed that it can be soul sucking and very time consuming to start a new company and get it off the ground. If you are single, he said it is much easier to start a company than if you have a family as well. Steve had a family when he started working on his own business, but he wanted to be sure that he had time for them. To ensure he could balance his time wisely, he made a set of rules with his wife and kids specifically regarding how he would handle time management while running the company. It was through his set of rules that his company didn't take over his personal life and time with family. Every entrepreneur should be doing this, because controlling your type is typically one of the benefits of personalized time management of the company. The next person that I wanted to briefly touch on is Wences Casares, founder of Lemon Bank and Wanako Games. He shared an idea that I agree and disagree with. The idea is that if you want to do really well at something, stick with it for a long time. What he meant is that if you are an entrepreneur, don't just give up on what you are working on, but instead stick with it for the long hall. Where I agree is that if the product or project is consistently moving forward in a positive way, then stick with it, but where I disagree is that sometimes staying with something is a bad idea. I work in healthcare contracting, where I contract doctors for health plans. Sometimes they don't want to join the plan I am contracting for, so instead of pursuing a dead lead, I move on to someone new. The same applies to business, in the sense that if you aren't seeing any kind of positive success, then it would be better to spend your time and resources on something different. I'm not saying the product/project has to be completely different from the first, but you don't want to stick with something that is getting you nowhere and using up your time and resources. It is important to really try and find that right balance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment